Saturday, May 9, 2009

ADHD - is the psychiatrist helping your child?

I always felt my son's psychiatrist could be more helpful. I am so full of questions when I visit my son's psychiatrist. But then he seems to be only interested in discussing the dose of the drug. He says the child can actually take more. With ADHD, we should be visiting him regularly and discussing the child's progress with him. He is well meaning, but something seems to be lacking in the treatment part.

The treatment does not seem to have helped him. I am not even convinced if I should continue with his treatment. I get the feeling that even psychiatrists do not hace enough enough experience dealing with kids with ADHD. For the last three years my 13- year old son has got only poor grades. His concentration does not seem to have improved. However his activitiy level, such as excessive drumming with his fingers seems to have reduced with medication.

Since his school reopens in June, we have a couple of weeks more to decide on the medication part. May be we will look out for another psychiatrist who would see the child as a person.

1 comment:

  1. When my internet went out, I realized that working offline helped improve my focus. Had to start searching for content tools with this kind of functionality and this one is the best

    ReplyDelete