Saturday, May 9, 2009

No more tuitions-the pushy mom

Today was a typical day. I wanted my son, 13 year old Aditya to study for a couple of hours in the morning as his scores in the previous year were quite low. I wanted him to study from 10.00 to 12.00 in the morning. He went for a swim in the morning, came back, had his break fast and watched TV for a while. I reminded him it was 10.00 am already. He wanted to watch TV for another half an hour. Granted. He takes medication for ADHD and is now on a drug holiday as his school will reopen only in June.

At 10.30, he was irritated and was in no mood to study. Not to mention I was also irritated that every day I have push him so much just to make him sit down and look at his books, even when he has exams. As usual, his books are missing. It's always like this. His books, pens, pencils... always go missing. His teachers tell me that he is a laughing stock in his class as this happens in the class too. In spite of my tidying up his table and book shelf, he is unable to find his book. It is 12.00 noon already! Finally I find the book, which was carelessly tossed in the toys' shelf. Now he opens the book. As usual he dreams a lot, studies a little, that too with constant reminders.

I hate the idea that he has to go for tuitions as he will miss out on games in the evening. So I have stopped the tuitions. And tuitions don't seem to have helped him at all. His father and grand parents think I am making a mistake by not sending him for tuitions.

He needs a lot writing practice and this is the right time for that. I would like to teach him a couple of lessons during his holidays so that it will not be a great burden for him when the school reopens. It's like moving 10 steps and going back 5 steps. That means we are moving forward slowly, but steadily :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment