Saturday, May 9, 2009

How people perceive kids with ADHD

Most people, including relatives and friends think a kid with ADHD is simply too naughty or lazy. And almost everyone is against medicating the child. My well meaning relatives said that the child had no problem. However, they get irritated by the child's behaviour and he is ridiculed and scolded for something over which he has no control.

People say things like why cant you listen, why cant you arrange things properly, why can't you sit quietly.... They simply fail to understand that these children may need help in keeping books according to timetable or even in packing his stuff. For many, the child simply needs spanking for being lazy. Many relatives have told me that I need to be more strict with my son to make him more desciplined.

Of course it is the parents, especially the mother who is often blamed for the child being different. I have been called to the school to meet the teachers many times because the teachers found that he could not concentrate and was distracting the class too. It's like, you are always on the receiving end and nothing seems to change for you both. I am sure it must be hard for the child too. But being kids they are somehow unable to express themselves like us. They simply can't understand why they are being targetted. But they know that we will take care of them, somehow. How I wish I could live upto that trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment